Saturday, March 2, 2013

Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin (Review)

I was perfectly content with my life--that is, until the pages of my story were ripped out before I had a chance to live happily ever after.

Alice Grace Ripley lives in a dream world, her nose stuck in a book. But the happily-ever-after life she's planned on suddenly falls apart when her boyfriend breaks up with her, accusing her of living in a world of fiction instead of the real one. To top it off, Alice loses her beloved library job because of cutbacks due to the Great Depression.

Longing to run from small-town gossip, Alice flees to the mountains of eastern Kentucky to deliver five boxes of donated books to the tiny coal-mining town of Acorn, a place with no running water, no electricity, and where the librarians ride ornery horses up steep mountain passes to deliver books. When Alice is forced to stay in Acorn far longer than she planned, she discovers that real-life adventure, mystery--and especially romance--may be far better than her humble dreams could have imagined.

I GIVE THIS BOOK: 5 Stars

MY THOUGHTS:
It took me awhile to connect with the characters in this book, but once I did I had a deep affection for each of them.

Alice is a character I could especially relate to, but she was almost too naive in the beginning to be believable. When she arrived in Acorn it was so funny how she behave.

This story is more about Alice maturing and realizing there is more to life than sitting around reading books. There was a little romance in the book, but it plays a much smaller role than I was expecting it too when I first started to read. Even though the romance was minimal, it was very sweet and I think had there been more it would have lessened the impact of the rest of the story.

Lillie was someone who drove me crazy for the longest time! However, she still made me laugh with her antics and in the end I saw the wisdom she had and why, for the most part, she behaved the way she did.

Wonderland Creek was a delightful and charming novel, one I will recommend to my friends. If you are a fan of historical fiction you should enjoy it very much.

If you found this review helpful, will you please click yes HERE. Thanks!

BOOK DETAILS:
  • Paperback: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Bethany House (October 1, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 076420498X
  • ASIN: B006TQZ964
  • Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 5.5 x 1.1 inches
  • Available to purchase at AmazonB&N | CBD

Excerpt of Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin (Bethany House Publishers):
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment