Thursday, November 14, 2013

Doctor Who: Ghosts of India by Mark Morris (Review)



India in 1947 is a country in the grip of chaos - a country torn apart by internal strife. When the Doctor and Donna arrive in Calcutta, they are instantly swept up in violent events.

Barely escaping with their lives, they discover that the city is rife with tales of 'half-made men', who roam the streets at night and steal people away. These creatures, it is said, are as white as salt and have only shadows where their eyes should be.

With help from India's great spiritual leader, Mohandas 'Mahatma' Gandhi, the Doctor and Donna set out to investigate these rumours.

What is the real truth behind the 'half-made men'? Why is Gandhi's role in history under threat? And has an ancient, all-powerful god of destruction really come back to wreak his vengeance upon the Earth?


I GIVE THIS BOOK: 2 Stars



MY THOUGHTS:
Ghosts of India was all right - not good, not bad, just all right. I've read quite a few of the Doctor Who novels and many of them I think would make great episodes. However, this one I don't think would. There really wasn't much to the story. the characters (besides the Doctor and Donna) were bland, even Gandhi sorry to say. The monster wasn't that smart or scary and the solution at the end was just dull.

There were a few cute lines from the main characters, but even though their on-screen personas were hardly like them. The Doctor called people idiots way too often, I honestly can't remember him even calling anyone that in the show. (I could be completely wrong and he did, but I just don't remember it.) Oh, he would imply that people were because when he's around no one else is smart, but I don't recall him actually saying it. (I'm talking only about the reboot here, I still haven't watch many of the classic ones)

If you've never read a DW novel and are looking for one, I would suggest you read a different one first. My personal favorites, so far, are: The Stone Rose, Sting of the Zygons, and The Pirate Loop.

If you found this review helpful, will you please click yes HERE. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to read it. "Steal people away" caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete